Ok. I just thought I would write this so that may be, JUST MAY BE. Florentino Perez reads this and decideds to wait for Messi than to break the bank for Ronaldo (which seems immensely likely though).
There are many reasons why Messi is a better player and I say it again, PLAYER, not PERSONALITY than Ronaldo. Ronaldo is way better than Messi off the court but right now Real Madrid are in need of some serious silverware, Copa Del Rays will not do the job and in my opinion, neither will La Liga, we need Champions League crown. Real Madrid needs the Champions League crown to reclaim it’s status in Europe. Ok, so here we go.
- Messi is by far a better thinker than Ronaldo on the field. The plays he makes at Barrcelona are (as rightly said by Theirry Henry) unreal for a 21 year old. He knows how to unlock any defence with slick and fast passing (assuming that on the day, he can’t do it all by himself) and most of all, he anticipates where the defenders are and what are they going to do next. Ronaldo just comes onto the field and starts shooting the heck out of the ball. He wants to dribble defenders the way the coach told him too. I mean, that is by no means a bad thing but in matches like this year’s Champions League final or any tight game in the league where the coach’s tactics are not working, sometimes you have to think on your own like Zidane did and that is why he was able to split 10 men defenses in mere seconds.
- Messi is simply better than Ronaldo technically.Messi dribbles instinctively unlike Ronaldo, who always tries different moves which he learns while training. Messi is always watching the defender, waiting patiently for any mistake, lapse in concentration or slight off balance. One mistake and boom, Messi skips past in a flash. This is I think the sole reason why Messi is able to perform where C.Ronaldo fails ie against the big sides with good defenders. World Class defenders are not fooled easily with fancy step overs and the like, they like to play hard and if one is playing like Ronaldo, they just go in and tackle the crap out of that player whereas in case of Messi, Messi’s feet are so quick that he is able to change his direction as soon as he sees the defender coming in with a challenge and he is able to pull it off, more frequently than any other player of the planet. In a nutshell, Ronaldo is a little bit predictable with his style of play whereas Messi adapts more easily and more quickly.
- Messi is short but still manages to tough it out when he needs to and I have watched both players since the last 4 years and Ronaldo dives like about, 5 times more than Messi. Just look at the goal Messi scored against Getafe (the Maradonna goal) in Copa Del Ray Semi Final in the season 2006-2007, I bet Ronaldo would have dived like thrice had he been subjected to the pushing and tackling that Messi was subjected to while he was on that magical surge into towards the Getage goal.
- Messi does not need his teammates to beat players and to perform at his best whereas Ronaldo does. Look at the goals that both have scored this season (2008-2009). Most, if not all, of Ronaldo’sgoalare team goals. Like, Rooney sets him up or Giggs makes a run along the flank and takes a defender with him. Space opens up for Ronaldo and he then takes advantage. Not an easy thing to do but compared with Messi’s, it is. Messi just takes the ball and beats players and then sets up his teammates or mostly, scores himself. He does not need space (though obviously, would be more destructive in that situation) to be efficient on the field. Ronaldo was dead in the Semi Final against Barcelona in 2007-2008 when he was playing all on his own upfront. Barcelona also did a great job on him in this years final, you cannot do that against Messi. His quick feet and acceleration in changing direction is too much and hence makes him, UNMARKABLE. The best example where my point is prooved like a hundred times is when Ronaldo is playing for his national team. He was a complete zilt in the Euro’s and has never really performed for Portugal in any tournaments. Sure he always has done his tricks and flicks, but that does not neccessarily means, PERFORMANCE.
- Messi can and infact, has scored goals with the mere touch of his hands (lolz on that). Yeah, as silly as that sounds, that is a big advantage. Messi can pull of stunts like those, I have seen him try a few times and he has succeeded. But only once.
So there you go, 4 legit and 1 a bit peculiar reason, of why Messi is better than Ronaldo. To sum it up, Messi can inspire his teammates better than Ronaldo and Messi obviously has a better touch than Ronaldo, plus Messi knows his angles better than everyone else and that is why he can and does, use every inch of the football field.